100 Most Influential Photos

The first image is the “Valley of Death” While little is remembered of the Crimean War—that nearly three-year conflict that pitted England, France, Turkey and Sardinia-Piedmont against Russia—coverage of it radically changed the way we view war. It made the world view war in a completely different manner than it used to. I do like the image it shows how much toll the war took on the land and how even after it all it was still there standing. It makes me sad to think about how many people died during the war. The photo is showing how barren the land is after the fighting.

The second picture is the “Flag Raising On Iwo Jima”t is but a speck of an island 760 miles south of Tokyo, a volcanic pile that blocked the Allies’ march toward Japan. The Americans needed Iwo Jima as an air base, but the Japanese had dug in. U.S. troops landed on February 19, 1945, beginning a month of fighting that claimed the lives of 6,800 Americans and 21,000 Japanese. It showed that we respected the american flag and that we wont let it touch the ground no  matter what. I like the image because i want to be in the military when I get older and it makes me respect the american flag even more than I already do. It makes me happy to see that we will keep the flag up no matter the cost.

The third photo is “Muhammad Ali vs. Stoney Liston” Leifer had taken that ringside spot in Lewiston, Maine, on May 25, 1965, as 23-year-old heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali squared off against 34-year-old Sonny Liston, the man he’d snatched the title from the previous year. One minute and 44 seconds into the first round, Ali’s right fist connected with Liston’s chin and Liston went down. It showed the world despite all odds Ali beat Liston when he was picked to loose the fight. Showing not to judge a book by its cover. The picture inspires me to show others I’m better than they think i am and can be great than i thought possible.  The photographer is trying to get the excitement Ali had when he won the fight.